Sunday, June 14, 2009

On Being a First Time Attendee

We've all been one. Attending a convention for the first time can be part exciting and part fear. I remember attending a circulation seminar many years ago. Being alone in New York City was scary enough without having to walk into a room filled with 200 strangers.

My first years attending AHP Seminars were in the late 70s when the meetings were basically a small part of the AHC Convention in Washington, DC. My publisher and I would attend the meetings, grab dinner and then hang out in our room. Eventually, we met fellow publishers and formed a group of a "few close friends" as we called ourselves, gathering after the meetings to explore D.C. at night.

The "few close friends" grew every year until trying to find seating for 25 in a bar in Georgetown made us realize that we were now a major group.

I've been told that attending an AHP meeting can be indimidating for some. At first, I was shocked to hear that, but then I remember my first time.

The difference between that seminar in New York City and New Orleans is that even though this may be your first AHP seminar, the attendees won't be strangers. There will be editors and publishers whose names you recognize, writers whose articles you've read, and representatives from products or services you use. These are your peeps. They are small publishers, entrepreneurs and veterans in the equine publishing, and all of us have a horse connection.

So, if you will be a first timer in New Orleans, here are some tips for having a productive and fun experience:
  • Make a list of all the sessions you want to attend; then go to them.
  • Make a list of questions you would like answered before you leave New Orleans and don't be afraid to ask them.
  • Go to every meal function and sit at the first empty seat you see.
  • Introduce yourself to as many people as you can. Everyone will be wearing a name badge and we are very friendly.
  • Pass out your business card to those you want to keep in contact with after the seminar.
  • If you can't locate someone you know is there, ask a Board member to point the person out to you or to introduce you.
  • If you arrive on Thursday, go on one of the optional tours to share the experience with fellow members.
  • The three days will go by very quickly; make the most of them.
The Board and I create the environment for networking and learning, but you have to do your part too for the seminar to be truly valuable.

Those of us who have been coming for many years have made lifelong friendships and we enjoy getting to see each other at this event. You have the opportunity to make a lifelong friend, too, along with a whole lot of acquaintances who share your passion for the horse industry.

I met one of my best friends at an AHP seminar over 25 years ago. She and I were both editors of horse magazines. Later we discovered a mutual interest in everything Disney. She'll be my roommate this year in New Orleans and I look forward to spending time with her every night rehashing the days' activities.

Many of our freelance members have matched up to save money by rooming together and two of our student travel winners have met and are traveling together from Lexington.

I encourage all attendees to go forth and meet your fellow members. This is a time when we need all the contacts we can meet to help us move forward.

I look forward to seeing the AHP family in NOLA! Be sure to stop me in my tracks as I race through the hallways and say hello.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment