Tuesday, January 1, 2013

AHP Heads to the Colorado Mountains in 2013


By Chris Brune, AHP Executive Director

I have to admit that I knew very little about Colorado Springs. Okay, I did know the city was home to Western Horseman offices until recently. And I had researched the city as a potential site for the 2013 seminar. However, I was not prepared to discover the many reasons why I would come to love Colorado Springs.

In July 2011, I made my first visit and was introduced to the city’s major landmarks such as the Garden of the Gods Park, the U.S. Olympic Training Center, the U.S. Air Force Academy, and Pikes Peak. Accompanied by Cheryl McCullough of the Colorado Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau, I toured four hotel properties and several of the city neighborhoods, Old Colorado City, Manitou Springs and Downtown. I knew then that I had only touched the surface of all the city had to offer.

Fast forward to October when I returned to Colorado Springs with the AHP Board members for the fall board meeting at the Colorado Springs Marriott, the hotel considered the best option for the 2013 seminar headquarters. Since we had a very full meeting agenda, I planned to spend a couple extra days exploring the region for activities and attractions that would be of interest to AHP members. Two Colorado-based members, Jennifer Denison, Western Horseman, and Christine Hamilton, The American Quarter Horse Journal, agreed to be my cohorts on my exploration day.

Why is Colorado Springs perfect for AHP members?

First and foremost, there is the “cowboy” hook. The ProRodeo Hall of Fame and Cowboy Museum is within walking distance of the Marriott. It is the only heritage center in the world devoted to professional rodeo and full of personalities and artifacts. I had an opportunity to visit the museum in July at the Western Horseman 75th Anniversary celebration, but I returned in October to spend more time exploring the exhibits.

No trip to Colorado Springs would be complete without a visit to the Flying W Ranch. Jennifer, Christine and I enjoyed a chuckwagon dinner indoors at the Winter Steakhouse as guests of Aaron Winter, Director of Sales at the Flying W. Aaron filled us in on the history of the family-owned working cattle ranch and the unique chuckwagon recipes and entertainment that gives guests a glimpse of the Old West. During the summer months, the chuckwagon suppers are held outdoors. After an amazing barbecue meal with foiled-wrapped baked potatoes, ranch beans, skillet buttermilk biscuits and cobbler, we sat back to listen to songs of the American cowboy performed by The Flying W Wranglers, the world’s second oldest western singing group. And these wranglers are true to their name. When it’s time for branding at the Flying W each fall, these cowboys get down and dirty and take care of business. NOTE: Sadly, the Flying W Ranch was destroyed in the Colorado fires in 2012.

And then there is the “horse” hook
AHP members like nothing better than an opportunity to trail ride in unique surroundings. We checked out two great options for trail riding in Colorado Springs. The Stables at the Broadmoor may carry the name of the historic and elegant Broadmoor Hotel, but be prepared for a long and winding ride up into mountains via the Old Stage Road. Stables at the Broadmoor offers a unique western experience with its replica of a frontier town and horseback rides through the Pike National Forest. Also be on the lookout for some pretty amazing views and wildlife. The Academy Riding Stables are the only outfitters permitted to offer trail rides through the Garden of the Gods Park.  Trail riders enjoy Colorado on horseback guided by real cowboys who point out some of the interesting red rock formations. Kim Brown’s husband, Ben, experienced a three-hour ride while we were in Colorado Springs and he gave his experience a Thumbs Up!

While horses played a major role in settling the western frontier, railroads, mining, and a healthy environment also contributed to the growth of the Colorado Springs region. To capture the history of this area, Jennifer, Christine and I toured Glen Eyrie, a 67-room English Tudor-style castle built by General William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs. General Palmer and his wife Mary (Queen) Mellen originally built a 22-room frame house on their 800-acre estate. After Queen’s death, Palmer and his three daughters remodeled the house in 1881 to include a tower, 24 fireplaces and additional rooms to resemble a stone castle, reminiscent of those native to the England from which Mrs. Palmer hailed. General Palmer was a true horseman, preferring horses to motor vehicles most of this life. The castle is now owned by The Navigators, a worldwide Christian parachurch organization headquartered in Colorado Springs. We enjoyed touring the castle which also serves as a bed and breakfast…yes, you can actually stay overnight in one of the many bedrooms.

Our next tour was at another historical landmark, Miramont Castle Museum, founded by a Catholic priest who built the castle for his mother. The castle later became the residence of the Sisters of Mercy for their use as a sanitarium, primarily for the treatment of tuberculosis. In 1976, the Manitou Springs Historical Society purchased the building and began restoring it to its original grandeur. Jennifer Denison’s grandparents were involved in the restoration and she spent many childhood days exploring the nooks and crannies of the castle, although she never saw any of the ghosts reported to haunt the castle .

Our day was packed from morning to night. It was memorable and fun despite draining all three cellphone batteries and almost getting locked out of a parking lot. After two visits, I’m convinced that Colorado Springs offers members an opportunity to embrace the Old West and much, much more.

Let's meet at the Peak in June 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment