Sunday, March 27, 2011

An O.B. Chick Returns to the Beach

Over 40 years ago, my sister, Jane, and I traveled from Massachusetts to California in an MGB roadster and eventually landed in San Diego - Ocean Beach to be specific. I'm sure many of you have heard of the O.C., which stands for Orange County. In San Diego, living in the beach communities labels you with two initials. That's how we became O.B. Chicks.

This summer, I get to return to my favorite city, San Diego, for the AHP "Hoofprints in the Sand" Seminar and while I won't be staying in Ocean Beach, I will be only a short drive away at M.B. (Mission Beach.)
Hodads in 1970

Hodads today
There have been many changes in San Diego since I lived there in the 70s, but Ocean Beach has pretty much remained the same hippy beach community I loved. Hodads is still there and a couple years ago while on a site visit, I got to stuff my face with a big juicy hamburg and fries for which they are famous. In 1969, Hodad's first location was located on the beach at the end of Santa Monica Ave. in Ocean Beach. In 1991, after several moves, Hodad's opened at its present location in the heart of Ocean Beach's Newport Ave. I would recommend a stop there to capture the surfer culture and great food.

San Diego has always been a popular destination city, but a trip there is not complete without being a part of the Southern California beach lifestyle. AHP members will have an opportunity to experience the best of both worlds...Mission Bay and Mission Beach...only steps away from seminar headquarters, Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa.

The seminar schedule will be full of sessions and activities and attendees are there to learn and network first and foremost, however the sound of waves and views of the bay will certainly put you in a great frame of mind to start and end your days at the beach.

To start planning your trip, go the AHP Seminar Information.

I look forward to sharing the experience with you!

Chris (still an O.B. Chick at heart)

No comments:

Post a Comment